Dental Crowns in East Longmeadow, MA
If you are in the East Longmeadow, MA area, and are in need of a dental crown or “cap”, look no further than the experts at East Longmeadow Family Dental Center. Dr. Zirakian is an award winning cosmetic dentist that specializes in dental crown therapy. If you are suffering from worn down teeth, fractured teeth, or teeth with large cavities you may need a dental crown.
What is a Dental Crown?
A crown (or cap) is a covering that encases the entire tooth surface restoring it to its original shape and size. A crown protects and strengthens tooth structure that cannot be restored with fillings or other types of restorations.
Although there are several types of crowns, porcelain (tooth colored crown) are the most popular, because they resemble your natural teeth. They are highly durable and will last many years, but like most dental restorations, they may eventually need to be replaced. Porcelain crowns are made to match the shape, size, and color or your teeth giving you a natural, long-lasting beautiful smile.
What teeth need a dental crown?
The following situations are some common reasons why your tooth or teeth may end up needing a dental crown:
- Broken or fractured teeth – If your teeth are breaking down and fracturing, a porcelain crown may be recommended to prevent further deterioration.
- Cosmetic enhancement – Dental jacket crowns may be recommended for smile makeover procedures that can help you regain your lost confidence and rejuvenate your smile.
- Decayed teeth – large cavities that cannot be fixed with tooth fillings sometimes need to be crowned. These crowns not only eliminate the caries, but they also protect the tooth from fracturing.
- Fractured fillings – Large dental fillings can a lot of times fracturing leading to broken teeth. These teeth need to be crown before complete fracture occurs.
- Large fillings – similar to fractured fillings, teeth that have had large fillings are recommended to be crowned to prevent future fracture
- Tooth that has had a root canal – A tooth that has had a root canal is always recommended to be crowned to prevent fracture of the tooth itself.
What is the cost of a dental crown in East Longmeadow, MA?
The average cost of a dental crown in East Longmeadow, MA is $1,000. This price may vary based on the complexity of your case, the treating dentist, and if any additional procedures such as a build up or root canal are needed.
Does Dental Insurance pay for crowns?
Dental crowns may be covered by your dental insurance plan. Most plans cover a portion of your dental crown procedure.
What does getting a crown involve?
A crown procedure usually requires two appointments. Your first appointment will include taking several highly accurate molds (or impressions) that will be used to create your custom crown. A mold will also be used to create a temporary crown which will stay on your tooth for approximately two weeks until your new crown is fabricated by a dental laboratory.
While the tooth is numb, the dentist will prepare the tooth by removing any decay and shaping the surface to properly fit the crown. Once these details are accomplished, your temporary crown will be placed with temporary cement and your bite will be checked to ensure you are biting properly.
At your second appointment your temporary crown will be removed, the tooth will be cleaned, and your new crown will be carefully placed to ensure the spacing and bite are accurate.
You will be given care instructions and encouraged to have regular dental visits to check your new crown.
We hope the information provided gave you a better insight on dental crowns. If your teeth are wearing down, and you are in need of a dental crown, contact our dental crown experts today!